1 May 2012

BlackBerry, Android, and iPhones are the three big names in smart phones today. For the sake of comparison, let's specifically look at Android and BlackBerry. We can compare BlackBerry to the iPhone in another article. Having heavily experience both operating systems, I have a clear understanding of the two and what they are all about. Both the Android OS and BlackBerry OS are considered smart phones but they are vastly different and they cater to different groups of people. Instead of saying which operating system is better, let's take a look at the differences between the two and you can decide for yourself what would you prefer to use.

Android gives it's user the full touch screen experience. Android is constantly being updated and on top of it's, software version, different manufacturing companies often place their own user interface on top of Android. For example, HTC has SenseUI, Motorola has MotoBlur, and Samsung has TouchWiz. Basic Android is often refered to as "vanilla". This can all confuse the average user new to Android. Despite all the different variations, all Android devices have a few main things in common. They all seem to have great integration with Google accounts. This means all or most of Google's services works well on these devices. Including Gmail, Gtalk, and Google Maps etc.



 



Customization

Customization on the BlackBerry is quite poor. Aside from changing your wallpaper, assigning apps to your left and right convenience keys, and moving icons around, there's not much else you can do with it. You can download and install themes but there's no way BlackBerry can win over Android in terms of customization. There are no widgets on the BlackBerry. There are only apps you can open and close.

Apps
Apps is a big selling point of modern smart phones and Google's Android wins over BlackBerry. Android's market is huge. They have a very large number of apps second only by iPhone's App Store. In comparison, the BlackBerry App World is garbage. Well, maybe not complete crap but it is definitely much, much smaller than Android's Market. One the other hand, I quickly got tired of the countless useless apps on Android's Market. It also seemed as if many apps were borderline spam. BlackBerry, though it doesn't have as much apps, I find myself not really needing them to enjoy my phone.


Battery Life

Here's a joke for you. Your battery is so weak it has 3.5 volts and has less than 2 AH of current flow! Alright, while it may not be as funny as a "yo mama" joke, it's a sad reality facing cell phones today. Because space is a huge issue, cell phone companies are using prismatic lithium cells in order to power these high powered devices. Prismatic cells sacrifice energy density in return for a more convenient form factor. Hence, we have slick brick shaped batteries because they fit better with our phones. What does this mean for us? We have awesome phones with bad batteries.

In terms of battery life, watt hour for watt hour, BlackBerry wins over Android in my experience. I've owned 2 Android phones and have friends that own Android phone. Consistantly across the board, Android sucks in terms of battery life. I consider myself a heavy user and I would be lucky to get a full day of life with my Android devices. With my BlackBerry, I don't lose my hair if I forget to charge it when I go to bed. The main reason why most Android devices fall short to BlackBerry is their bright screens and fast processors. Having a huge touch screen is great for watching videos but the processing power it takes to run these devices requires lots of energy. It has seem to be a common trend for Android phones to have faster and faster processors but the same size, or smaller batteries. It is not reasonable to expect these devices to reliably last us 2 days. Reading forums on many different Android phones, battery life is a huge problem that won't seem to go away. In comparison, BlackBerry users tend to complain if their devices last 1 full day while Android users wish their devices last that long.


Productivity

Productivity is an area where these 2 platforms seperate. In terms of getting things done, I feel like I get so much more work done on my BlackBerry than on my Android devices. I can bang out 2-3 emails before I can write up 1 on my Android phones. It's not just the software keyboard. I've had the Samsung Moment which has a very solid hardware keyboard yet it still does not compare to my BlackBerry phone. It seems to be a software issue. Android feel like a much heavier platform compared to BlackBerry OS. With Android, composing an email requires me to open Gmail for my Gmail account or K-9(a third party app) for my Yahoo account. After it loads, I have to hit compose and either type out who I want the send it to or fish it from a big list from my contacts. Different Android flavors work differently. From what I hear, Motoblur is easier to use but ignoring the exceptions, my BlackBerry is still easier to use. From the home screen, I simply type the person I want to email and as I type, my contacts will pop up. I hit the BlackBerry button and scroll to email. If I have 2 or more accounts, I can choose where to send it "from". After I make my selection, I can immediately compose my email. It is so much faster to get work done on my BlackBerry.


Media

Media is where you would expect Android to win and it does but not by much. If we are talking pure video playback, then yes, Android wins. I loved watching videos on those big Android screens and it seems they are getting bigger with each new phone. Music is a toss up in my opinion. I have a BlackBerry 8530 with dedicated music keys so I can quickly seek and play through my music play-list. Although most BlackBerry phones won't have the dedicated music soft touch keys, the player is the same and you can still control it through the app. It's simple and I like it. The default music player on Android was clumsy and slow when I tried it but there are some great third party music apps that make up for the default player.

Reliability

The last thing I want to compare between Android and BlackBerry is reliability and compatibility. BlackBerry wins hands down. BlackBerry OS is very stable. I've only had to do a battery pull once. With Android, I've hard reset it many times. Apps that are available for my BlackBerry work while apps on the Android Market are always buggy. They constantly require updates and not a single day goes by that I did not get the dreaded "force close" pop up. There is a standard in the BlackBerry OS, there is no real standard in Android. There are so many layers and different flavors of Android that developers have to work extra hard to get things to work. I can prove this easily. Go into the Android Market and read the comments of 5 different apps. At least 2 of the 5 apps will have a comment like, "does not work for Droid X" and another comment saying, "Works great on Nexus One!" This is a big problem with compatibility. In my opinion, reliability is tied in with battery life. What good is all those bells and whistles of Android when it barely lasts me 14 hours on a full charge? If I were to go to the mall, I'd grab an Android phone but if I were going to go out for a weekend, I'd grab my BlackBerry. It's simple. I don't want to alway worry if my phone is going to die. I pray I don't get lost and can't find an outlet. I don't want to have a beautiful, brilliant screen and turn the brightness down just so I can squeeze in a few hours. I don't want to baby sit my phone and download a task killer just in case background apps are eating the battery. I want to use my widgets. I want to keep my live wallpapers running. BlackBerry definitely wins this round. 

"Hope You Like my post this one and others so plz Share It with your friends....."

Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment